I’m a global keynote speaker, doing over 20 keynotes per year. I have spoken in 12 countries, on three continents, often to global corporate audiences of 500 people or more. My clients include companies like McKinsey, KPMG, ExxonMobil, Novartis, UBER, SHELL, DowDupont, Johnson & Johnson, and Canon.
I’m an expert in strategic high performance. My most requested speaking topics cover the secrets of consistent execution, fast innovation, effective leadership, growth focus, and seamless teamwork. My popular TED talks have been watched by more than 1.8 million people.
I’m originally trained as a chemical engineer and with more than 20 years of experience in various corporate leadership roles, my work is based on deep knowledge and extensive experience in the practical business applications of behavioral psychology, neuroscience and, especially, common sense. My two business books—The Power of Preeminence and How Successful Engineers Become Great Business Leaders—are used frequently by others at professional training and development sessions all over the world.
My solid background as a scientist and corporate executive, combined with my training as a standup comedian, make my keynotes substantive, practical, and hilarious.
The Psychology of Innovation – How to innovate when you’re already on top of your game
One of the biggest business myths is that innovation is expensive, takes a lot of time, and involves huge risks. What if most successful innovations are actually cheap, fast, and almost risk free? In this popular talk, Paul will discuss an intriguing, practical, and proven approach to make high performance innovation accessible for everyone. Application of these ideas will give you the opportunity to take control of reinventing yourself, and stand apart in the market place like a tall giraffe, surrounded by tiny field mice.
- How to quickly and cheaply innovate to outsmart your competition
- How to build a high-performance innovation culture
- How to create a bias in your organization for taking massive action on good ideas
I wanted to thank you for coming to join us in Barcelona last week and for your excellent keynote speech. Your topic of innovation was positioned exactly right in the context of our overall agenda priorities. And your anecdotes and humour were just terrific.
– Stephen Hall, Senior Partner at McKinsey & Company
Leaving the field behind – How the best get better
How do successful people, teams, and organizations become even more successful? In this entertaining, fascinating, and confronting talk, Paul will not only explain, but also let you experience the inner workings of your brain, and how this affects your own leadership behavior. As a result, you will be inspired with practical ideas to take more, better, and smarter initiatives to significantly raise the bar.
- How to focus on the few things necessary for business and professional success
- How to rapidly build high performance habits for you and your team
- How to inspire yourself and others to move to the top 10% in your business or professional field
Paul’s key note address at our international management conference was a resounding success. We had asked him to give the group something to think and talk about during the conference. Weeks later, we are still hearing references to his talk on Strategic Acceleration. Worthwhile points, delivered in an entertaining and memorable way, have staying power.
– Erik Oostwegel, Chairman of the Executive Board, Royal HaskoningDHV
The Lean Mean Execution Machine – You don’t have to be ill to get better
Business and professional success is predictable: If you want to achieve results you have never achieved before, you need to do things you have never done before. In this popular talk, Paul will discuss the most important counter intuitive, almost controversial, but highly effective strategies to rapidly move towards achieving big, ambitious goals.
- How to create a high-performance execution culture
- How to strategically quit your way to achieve big goals
- How to achieve twice the results in half of the time
Paul has a very clear and down-to-earth approach how to accelerate high performance organisations. His undoubtable scientific knowledge combined with his typical sense of humour, will give you a clear and practical view on how you can simply make a difference the very next day. He will boost you with positive ideas and will leave you with a friendly smile.
– Arjan van Oosten, Partner Grant Thornton
Slingshot – How successful engineers become great business leaders
How can you accelerate your business career as an executive, manager, or professional with an engineering background? The road to business success for leaders with engineering backgrounds is common and predictable, but not always obvious: There is a method to the madness.
This talk is full of thought-provoking insights, practical ideas, and pragmatic techniques to help you get everything you can out of everything you have by specifically applying your specific engineering strengths.
- How to take control of your leadership career and achieve ambitious business goals
- How to be more effective as a leader with an engineering background by avoiding behaviors that mask your strengths
- How to improve your own executive judgment and decision making
Paul’s contribution to the Ordina Open Innovation Days was insightful, constructive and even provocative. The combination of powerful insights into human behaviour and humor gave the audience food for thought and created lively discussions. Paul’s presentation was fun and created a lot of energy as he connects and interacts well with the audience.
– Stepan Breedveld, CEO Ordina
Speakers are only effective if they improve the condition of you and your organization.
Information is useless without massive action. My speaking work is therefore focused on turning common sense and (scientific) insights into actionable steps for immediate and lasting personal, business and organizational improvement.
I’m specialized in making complicated things simple.
At the same time I want to make you and your meeting look great.
The following audiences will benefit most from my keynote speaking work:
- Business executives and senior leaders who are searching for practical ideas to help their team and themselves to achieve big, hairy, audacious goals.
- Business owners who are looking for ways to dramatically grow their business.
- (Independent) Professionals who are serious about personal and professional development.
- Engineers, scientists, and other professionals who want to massively accelerate their careers.
Fortune Global 1000
Johnson & Johnson
McKinsey & Company
Human Capital Care
Limburgse Werkgevers Vereniging
London Business School Alumni
Ministerie van Infrastructuur en Waterstaat
This is what you can expect when hiring me to speak at your next event:
- A personal phone consultation prior to your event to ensure that my speaking work is completely aligned with your key messages and objectives.
- Additional options you can choose from to create improvements which last.
- A professional, high energy and remarkable presentation focused on achieving the exact outcomes you want with your audience.
- A dramatic return on your investment: both by making your event stand out and by creating lasting improvements which really matter.