One of the most important decisions as a leader is to create a success environment in your organization: This is a place where team members can bring their best, and feel safe to do what it takes to make an impactful and positive difference.
A success environment has five key characteristics.
- Clear personal and organizational goals. Everyone knows exactly what success of the organization would look like. Furthermore, there is no confusion about personal high performance standards.
- Consistent and frequent positive feedback for things that go well.
- The freedom to make small mistakes in order to achieve big goals. If you play to win, you know that you will experience failure on a regular basis.
- Pro-active requests for help, combined with a positive attitude to provide help to others where possible.
- One voice communication: Individuals and decisions are never questioned outside the team.
How would you grade yourself on each of these five characteristics?
Photo Credit: iStockPhoto/Kloeg008